Islamic State claims responsibility for German attack, suspect released

Islamic State claims responsibility for German attack, suspect released

by Joseph Anthony
129 views
Fire fighters stand beside the truck which ploughed last night into a crowded Christmas market in the German capital Berlin

Islamic State on Tuesday night claimed responsibility for an attack in which a truck ploughed into crowds in a Christmas market in Berlin on Monday and killed 12 people.

“The executor of the operation… in Berlin is a soldier of the Islamic state and he executed the operation in response to calls to target nationals of the coalition countries,” the militant group’s AMAQ news agency said.

A Pakistani asylum-seeker arrested on suspicion of killing people by mowing through a Berlin Christmas market in a truck  has been released, the Chief Federal Prosecutor’s Office said earlier in the day.

“The investigation up to now did not yield any urgent suspicion against the accused,” the prosecutor’s office said in a statement.

The prosecutor’s office said the suspect had made extensive statements during a police hearing, but had denied the offence.

The truck smashed into wooden huts serving mulled wine and sausages at the foot of the Kaiser Wilhelm memorial church, one of west Berlin’s most famous landmarks, at about 8pm on Monday. Forty-eight people were injured, 18 severely.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Chijos News is an independent online publication that provides readers with the latest breaking Nigerian news, world news, entertainment, sports, business, and many more.

@2025 – Chijosnews.com. All Rights Reserved.

-
00:00
00:00
Update Required Flash plugin
-
00:00
00:00